I was installing XAMPP on location machine, after installation i noticed that when i starts by clicking “start button” to start XAMPP server Apache instance the error message “The program can’t start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing”. It was bit confsusing and frustrating error i noticed.
Also the error suggests that “Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem” but this is not the case, perhaps many people follow this but this is for sure they also fails even after re-installing.
After research over inter for couple of minutes i found number of solutions to cop with this error, working solution as i mentioning below worked for me.
- Tap on the Windows-key, type appwiz.cpl and hit the Enter-key. This opens the Programs and Features Control Panel applet.
- Scroll down on the page until you find the list of installed Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages. If you want to know why there are so many redistributables installed, check out this article.
- If you see Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable in the list right-click on it and select the uninstall option. Note that you may see a 64-bit (x64) and a 32-bit (x86) version of the redistributable, and that you need to remove both.
- Download Link: Download Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
- Tap on the Windows-key, type Windows Update, and hit the Enter-key on the keyboard. This opens the Windows Update interface.
- Windows may run a check automatically, or when you click on the check for updates button.
- Follow the instructions to install updates.
Now you need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable again on the Windows machine.
- Visit the Microsoft Download website to download the 32-bit and/or 64-bit version of the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable.
- Visit the Visual Studio website to download the 32-bit and/or 64-bit version of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017.
- Run the installers to add the software to the Windows PC.
After following above i noticed that the program starts up fine and without throwing that error message.Cheers!